Artists' On the Move within the EU:

Within the European Union the freedom of establishment and freedom to provide services applies. Hence, all EU citizens may live and work in other EU member states, irrespective of whether self-employed or employed.  

This means, EU citizens are free to seek work in other EU member states, to establish themselves in the country concerned for that purpose, and to stay there even after employment has ended. The same applies to self-employed persons or entrepreneurs. This even includes cross-border services. Furthermore, EU citizens are entitled to the same treatment as nationals in their host country regarding access to employment, working conditions and other social benefits and tax benefits.

Artists with Austrian citizenship travel to foreign EU countries for their artistic work


A self-employed dancer from Austria wants to work on a fee basis at a theatre in Lisbon for two months. She does not need to apply for a residence permit or a work permit. 

Stay in Other EU Countries

Artists who are Austrian citizens need a valid identity card or passport only to travel to another EU country and to reside there.

EU member states are free, however, to require residency registration if the length of the stay and occupation in the host member state exceeds three months.

Access to Other EU Countries' Markets

The Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union lays down the freedom of establishment and to provide services and the free movement of workers. EU citizens have therefore free access to the countries of the European Single Market.

Self-employed persons benefit from the freedom to provide services which allows them to engage in cross-border activity. This covers both their own activity in another member state and the secondment of individual employees.


An Austrian gallery owner wants to establish himself in Brussels and open a gallery there. To this end, he just has to register his business under Belgian law and comply with the relevant formal requirements applicable locally. As an EU citizen no work or residence permit is needed.